Sunday 18 October 2015

Nocturne 2015

I have meant for years to head over to Halifax for Nocturne (art at night), but in previous years I never managed. This year, after being spurred on by a friend, I finally made it. It had begun to rain around opening time at 6:00, but by the time we arrived at 8:30 it had stopped and did not start again. With no hope of seeing all the various exhibits, we started at Pier 21 and then headed north to see as many as we could. 

A lot of the art exhibited at Nocturne has a performance aspect, and still photography can not fully convey the experience, but it is still fun to get out and experiment. Where applicable, I will label the photos with the site numbers that appear in the Nocturne Exibit Map on their website.

Site 307: Sun Ship Machine Gun (Metallurgy I) at Fort Massey United Church. A movie was set to music. I would have liked to stay longer, but needed to keep moving.

Site 206: Nocturne at Pier 21. Two projectors lit up the elevated pedway with looped animations.

Pier 21: These chairs are showing signs of the rain earlier in the evening.
The statue of Samuel Cunard in the seaport.
Site 212: Nocturnes on Silk on the former helipad near Bishop's Landing. 
Site 212: Nocturnes on Silk. Artist Holly Carr and pianist Jennifer King partnered for this live art display.
Site 209: Sculpture Nova Scotia displayed in the parking lot at the foot of Salter Street all week preparing this and other sculptures. This particular piece is by Mark Herrington from Maine.
I would be remiss if I didn't throw in a photo of HMCS SACKVILLE lit up. Lens flare can be so annoying!
Site 106: Argyle Fine Art showcased artwork by Jan Davison and Kim Danio.
Site 300: The ferris wheel on Citadel Hill. The view must have been astounding, but the lineup was reportedly a one-and-a-half hour wait. We passed.
Site 300: Possibly due to the high demand, the ferris wheel stopped to load every car, so it was never moving for very long. It was a challenge to capture the wheel spinning in a long exposure, even some that were 25 seconds long. After several attempts, and with careful timing, I managed it with this 5 second exposure.
A light inside the Halifax Public Gardens lights up this spider's web on the exterior fence.
In the car on the way home, I tried some of my own "Art at Night". I think these were the lights approaching the tolls of the MacKay Bridge. 
That's it for my images of Nocturne 2015. Here's hoping I manage to make it out in 2016!




No comments:

Post a Comment